A brief highlight of 2012
|TRANSFORMING LEADERS IN ASIA
A brief highlight of the year 2012
As we look back into the year 2012, we are just humbled by the fact that the Lord has blessed TLA ministries to be blessings of God to others. Like past years, we began the year with an objective to touch the lives of pastors and lay leaders so as to transform our region. With the help of TLA, following events were sponsored in 2012:
Pastors Conference for CBCNEI, Guwahati (March 12-15) 59 participants
Pastors and lay leaders training program for SABA, Pasighat (Sept 13-15) 450 participants
Leaders Training Program for ABCC, Guwahati (Sept 27-29) 35 participants
Training on Discipleship and Preaching, Imphal (Sept 27-29) 50 participants
Training for the Pastors of MBK, Kulajan (Nov 3-4) 150 participants
Spiritual Renewal Conference, Guwahati (Nov 7-10) 39 participants
Seminar on Expository Preaching and Biblical Counselling, Guwahati (Nov 12-16) 59 participants
In a separate program, 10 bicycles and 4 motorbikes were distributed to help the native leaders serve the Churches and community more effectively. On three different occasions 100 volumes of reference books, Bibles, and other helpful books were distributed to individuals and for a School Library.
Besides above mentioned programs, TLA enabled AK to actively minister in nine Conferences, four Consultations, and seven meetings. Of these, four were very significant as AK could minister in the Wold Mission Conference, Wisconsin (May 18-25), preached and led a seminar in Asia Theological Association Conference, Malaysia (June 18-21), led a seminar in the Baptist World Alliance Congress, Santiago (July 4-7), and preached in Asia Pacific Baptist Federation Congress, Kula Lumpur (Sept 4-8). These events enabled AK to influence a larger sphere of audience.
AK is presently leading as the General Secretary of the Council of Baptist Churches in Northeast India. This Council is a large federation of 7000 Churches, six hospitals, eight seminaries, five Christian Literature Centres, three Hostels and several departments that exist for empowering the churches and Christian community to serve the region. With the help of TLAs partnership with this Council, AK has been able to impact a significant transformation among the leadership in the region.
We are grateful to God for the good health, the well being of our family, and the faithful support of TLA prayer partners.
The best is yet to come. Please uphold the work for 2013 in your prayers.
AK and Asangla
October 2012 Update
Winter is almost here. Thanksgiving and Christmas is approaching. The New Year 2013 is just 60 days away. Its time to celebrate the blessings that the Lord gave to us this year.
Some of the special achievements of the TLA in the last semester are:
(1) The itinerant teaching and preaching ministry of AK
(2) The training of Pastors and Christian workers in various aspects of the Ministry
(3) The distribution of Bicycles and the selection of recipients of the Motorbikes
With Gods help and with your prayers, we have successfully carried out many activities in the last quarter. Besides aks busy engagement in helping CBCNEI to carry out various activities of its departments, institutions, and its member conventions, we want to draw your attention to few programs which TLA has sponsored and where ak was personally involved:
1. Training on Church Administration and Management (Sept 13-15): Siang Adi Baptist Association (SABA) hosted more than 250 pastors and other Church leaders for two and half day training on Church Administration and Management. The resource persons were Dr. A. K. Lama, Col Arun, and Pastor Lal Haokip. The program was jointly sponsored by TLA and CBCNEI. Many felt that due to lack of such training, Churches are facing many challenges.
To see pictures please browse: https://picasaweb.google.com/105262708172256474990/LeadershipTrainingOnChurchAdministrationAndManagement?authkey=Gv1sRgCOWWp-GTuaXBZg
2. Leadership Training Program for ABCC (Sept 20-23): The Arunachal Baptist Church Council hosted a three days Leadership training program for leaders of 16 Associations under the state convention. The emphasis was on developing leadership virtues, ministries, and Church administration. The resource persons were Rev. Christ Horton, Rev Zhabu Terhuja, and Dr. A. K. Lama. The program was jointly sponsored by TLA and CBCNEI.
To see pictures please browse:
3. Training on Discipleship Making and Preaching (Sept 27-29): Meitei Baptist Churches Association (MBA) of Manipur hosted two and half day training program for 50 pastors and lay leaders. The resource persons were Rev. Chris Horton, Rev. Greg Morrison, Rev. A. K. Lama, and Dr. Lev Bragg. The program was fully sponsored by TLA. Most participants expressed their gratitude for such a program. They said that it was first of its kind which had addressed many practical issues of ministries.
To see pictures please browse:
For other activities of ak, please visit www.cbcnei.com.
Please pray for the forthcoming events where ak shall be involved in next two months:
(i) Nov 2 : Mising Baptist Kebang Mission Consultation, Kulajan
(ii) Nov 3-4 : Mising Baptist Kebang Pastors Training Program, Kulajan
(iii) Nov 7-10 : Spiritual Renewal Conference, Guwahati.
(iv) Nov 12-16 : Seminar on Expository Preaching and Biblical Counseling
(v) Nov 22-24 : CASA Executive and AGM meeting, Pune
(vi) Nov 24 : Jubilee Celebration of White Memorial Girls Hostel, Guwahati
(vii) Nov 27-30 : CBCNEI Global Mission Consultation, Guwahati
(vii) Dec 1-4 : Annul Conference of Evangelical Baptist Convention,
(viii) Dec 7-9 : Silver Jubilee Celebration of Tangsa Baptist Churches
Association Youth department, Jairampur
(ix) Dec 14-16 : The Annual Convention of the Council of Rengma Baptist
Churches Association, Kandinu
Through this letter, we want to thank you for your prayers and supports. We need your continuous support in order to serve our Churches faithfully. Let us continue to nurture the partnership we have in His enriching fellowship.
Ak and Asangla
|Dear friend in Christ;
I realise that I have not communicated with you for some time. Life has been pretty hectic with challenges but I am mindful of you as my prayer partner.
Things have not been good in our region for last two months.
The eastern part of Assam was struck with torrent flood and the western part was struck with ethnic violence. Many lost their belongings while others lost everything. It is estimated that more than hundred thousands are in living in the make-shift refugee camps. We could help around 1000 families with food and clothes in the flood affected areas and we are waiting for reduction of violence in the west for any relief work.
In fact, situation has aggravated, as fundamentalists have invoked more violence through false publicity causing exodus of thousands of north easterners from the rest of the country. You can read one of those false publicities here [http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/12867/social-media-is-lying-to-you-about-burmas-muslim-cleansing/]. Some are bent to instigate violence in our region. Situation has become tense everywhere. Please pray for peace and wisdom of God upon our political leaders.
On the family front, we are all doing fine. Asangla is keeping busy with the ministries. Sonam is in Judson University, Elgin, as Junior in the Architect program. Neema is home but will go back to her college in China to do her Medicine next week. Joshua is preparing for SAT test. He is praying for a college in US.
To keep you well-informed, here below are my praise and prayer points:
Praise God for:
1. Devotionals in the Writers Workshop held from June 5-7, 2012 in Guwahati.
2. AK's active participation in the Asia Theological Association Consultation on the Scripture in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from June 18-21. He presented a paper which was well received. He also helped in drafting the KL Affirmation.
2. AK's two presentations in Baptist World Alliance Commission on Theological Education and Leadership formation in Santiago, Chile, from Aug 2-7.
3. AK's ministry of the Word of God. Several students surrendered themselves to the Lord during Revival Crusade organised by Campus Christian Fellowship in Kohima from July 27-29.
4. AK's teaching on Life and Ministry of a missionary in the Missionary Training Program in Guwahati from Aug 13-19.
5. AK's teaching on Expository Preaching at Antioch Seminary in August.
6. Gods' manifold provision for AK and his family.
Please pray for the forthcoming ministries:
1. Sept 4-8: Preach in plenary session in Asia Pacific Baptist Federation, KL, Malaysia.
2. Sept 13-15: Teach and Preach Pastors about church Management, Administration, and Ministries for all the Pastors under Siang Adi Baptist Association in Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh.
3. Sept 21-23: Teach and Preach Evangelism and Discipleship
Ministries of the Church to all the leaders under Arunachal Baptist Churches Council.
4. Sept 27-30: Teach and Preach Exegetical Preaching to all the Pastors and Evangelists under Meitei Baptist Churches Association, Imphal,
5. Oct 3-5: Medical Board Meeting and speak in the Centenary Celebration of Impur Christian Hospital, Impur.
6. Oct 18-19: Christian Literature Board Meetings, Special Consultation of Baptist Leaders, and the Executive Meeting of the Council
7. Oct 21-24: Teach and Preach in the Annual Conference of the Evangelical Graduates Fellowship of Orissa in Korapur.
8. Oct 26-28: Preach in the Sumi Baptist Convention in Dimapur.
Like St. Paul, I urge you to Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel . . . Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. (Eph 6:19-20 NIV).
Praying for you.
|Dear friends of TLA
The Baptist Churches are celebrating 175th years of the coming of the gospel in the northeast India. The first American Baptist missionary landed in Assam in 1836. The humble effort must have been an unnoticeable little spark but it soon spread like a wild fire. Ever since then, thousands of sons and daughters of the soil have been called to serve our regions as evangelists, missionaries, pastors, association & convention leaders, deacons, secretaries, doctors, nurses, teachers, government officials, etc. & etc. The Baptist family have grown into one million members and 7000 Churches today.
The God of the Bible continues to call young men and women to follow him. Some fervently pray, others sacrificially give, and still others go to distant places to make known the Love of God. We are grateful to God for such a rich continued legacy in the northeast region of India.
The God of the Bible is not only the Creator of all, but also the Saviour of all. He cares for all who are in need. He continues to reach out the needy through his faithful followers even in our days.
A Series of Mission Consultation:
Most Baptist Churches are very mission minded but most Churches engage in missions independently without networking with their association or convention. Henceforth, the Council has begun a special effort to streamline the mission works of our Churches by conducting a series of mission consultation for the Church leaders. I had the privilege to be one of the resource persons.
To see some of the picture, please visit:
TLA/CBCNEI Pastors Conference: 59 Pastors stayed four and half days learning how to preach, how to disciples, and how to lead the Church for global mission. Seventeen pastors were from Mumbai. The program was fully sponsored by TLA ministries. Dr. Asangla and Ms Boinu Singson coordinated the program. In the evaluation session, most Pastors were very grateful for the program. They told that they have not attended such an excellent program before. They requested for more of such trainings in the days to come.
Family front: Children are doing fine. Sonam will be travelling to Europe to fulfil the course requirement in Architecture. She will need Visa for European Union and also visa for return to US. Please uphold her in your prayers. Neema is doing her first year Pre-Med at Huazhong University, Wuhan in China. She is having her exams. We hope to see her in July. Joshua is junior in high school. He is preparing for SAT and looking for a college that would offer a better scholarship. He will also appreciate your prayers. Our Childrens education is one of our major prayer concerns. We request you to pray with us.
Please pray for the events in April where I shall be involved:
Hostel Ministry Board (April 10)
Theological Education Board (April 12)
Medical Board (April 18-19)
The 75th Years Celebration of NBCC in Kohima (April 16-21)
The Executive Committee (April 26-27)
The 62nd Annual conference of CBCNEI in Hamren (April 27-30)
Thanks for your continued support and encouragement.
Ak and Asangla
Update Sept 2011
|Dear friends of TLA,
I had some difficult times in the last four months. Satan tried to frustrate me through various means. However, such things did not affect my outward performance. I was busy as usual but I was certainly disturbed inwardly. There was no motivation to write any ministry update. I just did whatever came on my way. I still need some renewal (servicing and oil change!). I will appreciate your prayers.
1. Biblical Preaching & Counseling (Aug 8-12): In partnership with NECTAR, Asangla and I conducted a training program on Biblical Preaching and Counseling in Shillong. 23 young leaders aspiring to become missionaries attended it. One of the participants, a new believer, was emotional on the last day. He said, I have been Christian for last six years but no one mentored me the way TLA has done it. One lady said, I have done Counseling degree but I have now learned how to counsel and what to counsel. We could also present Bible dictionaries, Commentaries, and Counseling books to some deserving participants.
To see pictures from the training, please visit the web: https://picasaweb.google.com/aklama1147/BiblicalPreachingAndCounselingSeminar20111?authkey=Gv1sRgCIXr__bF09PgIg
2. The First Consultation (Sept 1-3): Theological education in the most seminaries in northeast has become an academic exercise. With the sponsorship from TLA and in partnership with the OCI, the Eastern Theological College of Jorhat hosted the first Consultation. The representatives from 8 seminaries (total 22) came to discuss the practical steps toward making the Theological Education relevant to the Churches. They resolved to meet next year to follow up their decision in bringing changes in their curriculum and teaching methods.
To read my paper please visit the source: http://www.cbcnei.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=144:the-challenges-of-theological-education&catid=37:articles&Itemid=81
To see pictures please visit: https://picasaweb.google.com/aklama1147/MiniInstituteOfNEIndia?authkey=Gv1sRgCLHXvMTN6PH9Qg#slideshow/5659663165541809634
3. The Secretaries Retreat in Manipur (Sept 9-12): It was wonderful to see the secretaries from 29 Associations under Manipur Baptist Convention come together for three days in Longol Baptist Church to make necessary resolution. I had the privilege to encourage them spiritually every night ministering from the Word of God.
To see pictures please visit: https://picasaweb.google.com/aklama1147/MBCSeretariesRetreat2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCLTOna2d7ayBsgE
4. The India Mission Association Conference (Sept 16-18): It was a unique privilege for me to represent the Churches perspectives on Missions in the India Mission Association Conference. More than 200 para-church organizations met in Hyderabad to consider how to connect with the Church. Most mission works are done by para-church agencies in India, but the scenarios in the northeast India is different. The Churches in the northeast under CBCNEI are more mission minded. My paper was focused on the role of the para-church organizations in empowering the Churches for missions.
To read my paper please visit the source: http://www.cbcnei.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=143:the-church-and-the-mission----connected&catid=37:articles&Itemid=81
To see pictures please visit: https://picasaweb.google.com/aklama1147/IndiaMissionAssociationConference2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCIW_mcPP57PoiwE
5. Arunachal Leaders Family Retreat (Sept 22-25): Asangla and I had wonderful time with the Arunachal Baptist Churches Council (ABCC) leaders and their families during the Family Retreat in Arunachal. About 20 families came to consider their family life in the light of the Word of God and also to spent time together in casting the vision for the Churches in Arunachal.
To see pictures please visit:
6. Biblical Preaching & Counseling (Sept 27-29): After the Family Retreat in Arunachal, we had only one day in between to do our laundry. The next day we were on the road for 8 hrs to Ampatigiri village where more than 70 pastors, deacons, women and youth leaders of KRIMA VI of Garo Baptist Convention were waiting to learn from us the art of Biblical Preaching and Counseling.
We enjoyed our ministry with them for three days. One of the pastors commented, I wish I was taught in my seminary all these valuable practical lessons. I have been pastors for 18 years without such knowledge. Thank you for coming and teaching us.
These types of comments give us lots of energy. We feel like hitting the road again and go to the rural area and strengthen our Churches with the Word of God.
To see pictures please visit: https://picasaweb.google.com/aklama1147/BiblicalPreachingAndCounselingTrainingForKrimaVI?authkey=Gv1sRgCP6y56_a8ejalgE
We thank you for enabling us to do what we are doing. Without your prayers and support, ministry would not be easy. Thanks to you all.
Please pray for the activities this year:
6-7 Oct : CBCNEI Medical Board
10 : ETC Board
16 : CLC Board Meeting
17-19 : Leaders Training Program
20-21 : EC Meeting
26 : Thangal Naga Women Retreat
28-30 : Annual Conference of EGF in Jharkhand, Ranchi
1-6 Nov : EFI Leaders Retreat, Goa.
18-20 : Silver Jubilie of State EGF-Arunachal, Balinong
24-25 : AGM/EC Meeting CASA, Delhi
30 : Northeast India Christian Council Leaders Consultation, Shillong
9-12 Dec : Silver Jubiliee of RNBA, Tamenglong
17-18 : Centenary Celebration of Talui Baptist Church, Talui, Manipur
Please do send us your prayer requests. We would like to pray for you as well.